On February 24, 2009, the Governing Board of the San Mateo Union High School District approved the formation of a District Surplus Property Advisory (7-11) Committee and authorized the Superintendent to convene such a committee to fulfill the requirements of California Education Code Sections 17387 – 17391.
In accordance with the California Education Code, the committee was charged with the following duties:
1. Review projected enrollment figures to determine the amount of surplus space and real property.
2. Establish a priority list of uses of the surplus real property that will be acceptable to the community.
3. Circulate throughout the attendance area the priority list of surplus property and provide for a public hearing for community input to the committee regarding the acceptable uses for the surplus property. One such use could include the sale or lease of the surplus property for childcare development purposes pursuant to Education Code Section 17458.
4. Make a final determination on the “limits of tolerance” related to the uses of the surplus property.
5. Forward a report to the Governing Board recommending uses of surplus property.
To see a complete copy of the Final Report that was presented to the District's Board of Trustees on May 13, 2010, click here.